Yes we all know broken link building, but there are only few post in the internet that really shows how they use the link building tactic to build high quality links on a step-by-step process. So when I got this invitation from GDI to speak and share my knowledge to their community, I grabbed the chance and presented an easy to implement and actionable strategy that link builders can use – BLB, broken link building.
This was presented also to the Morcon 2014 – SEO Organization Philippines event.
What is a broken link?
A broken link is a link that can no longer be accessed or page that has moved. When you get 404 error messages and browser errors like page cannot be displayed, we can safely assume that the page is a broken link already.
Is BLB the right tactic for me?
BLB is a targeted link building tactic, one of the best link baiting that you can implement if you are passionate on link building. If you don’t know how to implement it, you might end up wasting your money on the content that you produced and the time that you consumed doing linker outreach.
There is one specific rule you need to follow before jumping to BLB, that is Link Equity + Link Volume = Money Spent for the Content
Ask these questions first:
1. Do I have a good number of linking opportunities to make BLB work for me?
2. Can these link opportunities be acquired?
3. Do I have the resource to produce the content that linkers would love to link to?
4. How ready I am for the massive content promotion and outreach?
5. Am I ready to hustle?
If you answered 5 of 5 YES’s to these questions, then proceed.
How do we use BLB to our own advantage?
1. Link List Suggestion – Find list of links or websites that is related to your niche and suggest your related content or website to the list.
2. Content Resource Suggestion – Look for resource pages and related links page, spot a broken link “404″ and suggest your content as a replacement for that broken link or offer a fix and suggest your content.
Check our deck on slideshare and learn how our process work:
How about content ideas?
1. Education related – This is an easy niche to use BLB, you can always research for good contents that specific people link to. How about teaching tools and resources? Set up an amazing page that showcase many of the best teaching tools that teachers can use and pitching the content to school websites who has broken link resources.
2. Mobile related – Create a content on bullying and it should be centered on mobile related cases. Research for bullying leading to suicide cases where mobile devices played its part. Add a content on fighting bullying for teachers and parents. Then pitch it to organizations who have listed resources on fighting bullying.
3. Health related – If it’s health related, you can always go for addiction support groups. Correlate your content to these type of organizations, list them on your prospecting sheet and try to ask if they are interested on adding your content as a resource.
Please add your content idea on the comment section below! Or ask me for content ideas below.
Buzzstream – For outreach and campaign management, definitely one of the best tool that you can grab. Else root for outreach management in spreadsheet. See more on how Buzzstream can help in link building.
LinkClump for Chrome – Open bulk URL’s or copy list of links to your clipboard and paste it to your document for faster processing. Grab it here
ExpiredDomains.net – Check for expired domains and backlink opportunities on this site
SEOteky BLB Tools – Check 404 Links + Broken Link Building Query Generator & Link List Generator – Grab it here
Please respect me, if you are planning to use the spreadsheet on your site or other site or content, link to seoteky or to this post. Thanks
Other Resources in BLB:
Credits to my young (ex)boss, one of the best in link building – Jon Cooper of PointBlankSeo
If you love the presentation and the tools that I shared on this deck – share it to your co-workers. Like it and share it!
- 25 Link Building Tips & Strategies to Get Quality Links
- Interview with Jon Cooper – Link Building Today & Tomorrow
- 6 Do-Able Link Prospect Research Methods
- Get Optimized 2 – Link Building with Content Marketing
- Link Anatomy – Further Explanation of What’s Inside a Link