Last night I had a chance to mingle with one of my colleague in SEO. We had some chalk talk about the effects of the Panda Update made recently by google. Google cracks down on content farms and spam sites – duplicated and copyright protected media properties took a hit through this 11+% change on Google search results. So if you’re into link building particularly article syndication, is it time for you to panic?
So what’s the difference on an article that is syndicated and duplicated? This is what he asked.
1. When does an article become syndicated? (I replied) – An article become syndicated when it gets published on a content network. One good example that i gave him is Yahoo News, articles being released on Yahoo came from some of the country’s trusted news media site like ABS CBN or GMA Network. Check the site and see how they do it.
3. So what’s in a duplicate content? – These are content’s that appear on a single domain. Have you seen a travel site penalized by Google named as Decolar.com. It was analyzed by a sherlock holmes on youmoz, riccota. He was able to determine that decolar has an old and new version and not only that it hosts a sitemap on two different ways. Based from the research it was considered as doorway pages, a manipulative internal linking method forbidden on google.
4. Is that it? Yes (doubtful a bit)
5. Does google have something to say on Article syndication? Yes, check out duplicate content on webmaster tools help. Here’s what they say -
Syndicate carefully: If you syndicate your content on other sites, Google will always show the version we think is most appropriate for users in each given search, which may or may not be the version you’d prefer. However, it is helpful to ensure that each site on which your content is syndicated includes a link back to your original article. You can also ask those who use your syndicated material to use the noindex meta tag to prevent search engines from indexing their version of the content. Read the webmaster tool
Don’t be stupid. Article syndication won’t do you damage when done with caution. Plus add some skillful tricks and you’ll just do fine.
6. How do I counter duplication then? Canonicalization is the best way to prevent duplicate issues, achieved through “rel=canonical” html attribute. It gives you the power to tell google that page A is almost the same to page B, therefore make B as my page for this topic. I had a good read before from a post that was written by Sir Benj of seo.org.ph about block, redirect and canonical on a youmoz post.
I summarized our chalk talk by reminding him some few good points to remember involving articles and contents. Forget those low quality article posting site, they are considered as content farms only. When you post an article as a guest blogger don’t write them off the hook articles, non related. Either way your article will be counter checked by the blog owner and it will just become a waste. You can always use different avenues on syndicating contents such as wikis and reddit. Submit your article on article syndication sites that you believe can help you. Be heard through your press releases. Spread out the good news. For now, CONTENT IS (STILL) KING!